As most of my friends know, almost exactly two years ago I had surgery on my left shoulder to repair a post-labral tear (the tissue that holds the shoulder joint in place). This tear had been undetectable for a year and a half, and so I had just been living in pain until the exploratory surgery. The repair was delicate and the recovery process six months long, and the first couple of months were difficult, but manageable.
Two days ago I started having loud pops in my shoulder - not particular unusual. I had somewhere between 2 and 4 in two days. And then last night I noticed that I very suddenly had full range of motion back (I'd only had 80-90% until now), and my shoulder felt like it was grinding when I moved it. And then the pain started.
I think my repair has come undone.
I am terrified.
And I am facing two major dilemmas right now.
1. David is about to change jobs, which will mean new insurance. Right now I haven't seen a doctor for my shoulder in a year and a half. If I see one now, our new insurance provider may consider this issue to be "pre-existing" and not cover it. I am already in the level of pain that matches that of my pre-op days. Do I go in right away or do I wait? Will it make a difference for my shoulder? I don't know what to do.
2. If I have undone my repair, and I require surgery again...what do I do? I wouldn't be able to hold my baby for 3 months, possibly more. And I won't be able to nurse anymore because of all the drugs. And with my Endometriosis, we were told to have all the children we want immediately. So do we wait until I'm done recovering from another potential operation to try to have another baby? Will we be able to have another baby then? Sammy was a miracle. Will God give us two miracles? I don't know what to do.
And I guess I have a third dilemma: What do I do about the pain? Before my operation, my pain was constant, I mean truly non-stop. At best, it was a constant, dull "4" on the pain scale of 10. I couldn't do laundry, I couldn't do dishes, I couldn't even make the bed most days because of how much it would hurt me. And I now have a nearly 18lb. baby (who gained two pounds in two weeks). Before my operation, narcotics were the only thing that worked, and I hated it. I was constantly a little high, constantly worrying how much more my body could take... And I'm nursing now. I don't know what to do.
Please pray for me as I - we - wrestle through these questions. I know that everything at this point is just hypothetical, I know that I shouldn't worry... I just struggled through this pain for a year and a half - two, if you count the post-op time. I am terrified of what this pain will do to my poor baby when I can't pick him up every time he wants me. I'm already struggling through that today, and we're both miserable for it. It's daunting. It's overwhelming. And I don't know what to do.
Two days ago I started having loud pops in my shoulder - not particular unusual. I had somewhere between 2 and 4 in two days. And then last night I noticed that I very suddenly had full range of motion back (I'd only had 80-90% until now), and my shoulder felt like it was grinding when I moved it. And then the pain started.
I think my repair has come undone.
I am terrified.
And I am facing two major dilemmas right now.
1. David is about to change jobs, which will mean new insurance. Right now I haven't seen a doctor for my shoulder in a year and a half. If I see one now, our new insurance provider may consider this issue to be "pre-existing" and not cover it. I am already in the level of pain that matches that of my pre-op days. Do I go in right away or do I wait? Will it make a difference for my shoulder? I don't know what to do.
2. If I have undone my repair, and I require surgery again...what do I do? I wouldn't be able to hold my baby for 3 months, possibly more. And I won't be able to nurse anymore because of all the drugs. And with my Endometriosis, we were told to have all the children we want immediately. So do we wait until I'm done recovering from another potential operation to try to have another baby? Will we be able to have another baby then? Sammy was a miracle. Will God give us two miracles? I don't know what to do.
And I guess I have a third dilemma: What do I do about the pain? Before my operation, my pain was constant, I mean truly non-stop. At best, it was a constant, dull "4" on the pain scale of 10. I couldn't do laundry, I couldn't do dishes, I couldn't even make the bed most days because of how much it would hurt me. And I now have a nearly 18lb. baby (who gained two pounds in two weeks). Before my operation, narcotics were the only thing that worked, and I hated it. I was constantly a little high, constantly worrying how much more my body could take... And I'm nursing now. I don't know what to do.
Please pray for me as I - we - wrestle through these questions. I know that everything at this point is just hypothetical, I know that I shouldn't worry... I just struggled through this pain for a year and a half - two, if you count the post-op time. I am terrified of what this pain will do to my poor baby when I can't pick him up every time he wants me. I'm already struggling through that today, and we're both miserable for it. It's daunting. It's overwhelming. And I don't know what to do.




